Changing the way Montrose walks, bikes, drives, parks and lives.
Planning, Mobility, Environmental & Urban Design, Visual Improvements, and Cultural Promotions – these projects provide the foundation for enhancing how the District looks and works while also providing a sense of place, a source of community pride, and dramatically impact the decisions of potential investors. During the first ten years plans were developed for projects related to beautification, landscaping, perimeter and interior markers, HWY 59 bridge lighting, banners, flags, custom signage, and monuments. The District also advocates concepts to improve internal mobility and regional access including a Special Parking Area (SPA).
Specific Projects developed during The First 10 Years included:
- Completion of a comprehensive study of mobility, parking, and drainage infrastructure throughout the District and presented study results to the Houston city council committee on infrastructure, transportation, and technology to focus its attention on District infrastructure needs.
- Coordination with the City of Houston, Houston-Galveston Area Council, and Texas Department of Transportation to secure grant funding and redesign lighting along the seven U.S. 59 overpass bridges with opportunity for area non-profits to light bridges and ID markers with organization colors.
- Application to the City to designate the core of Montrose as a SPA to address after-hours parking challenges and to take advantage of flexibility allowed in the latest city parking ordinances.
- Support of Metro’s petition to amend the city’s thoroughfare plan to accommodate a University Line Transit.
- District monumentation and beautification program including
improvements to Montrose entrances and esplanades.
- Adoption of all of the esplanades throughout Montrose to ensure consistent maintenance standards.
- Improvements to Montrose esplanades and installation of Identity Markers.
- Support for initiatives that maintain and increase District parks and green spaces.
- Design and installation of branded bike rack system near select Montrose businesses at 7 locations in partnership with BikeHouston.